Major new Smithfield Birmingham Development reaches a milestone
30 Jun 2021
The Smithfield Birmingham development has reached a significant milestone as Lendlease and the city council finalised a joint venture contract for the £1.9bn scheme. Greater Birmingham and Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership has allocated £2.3m of funding from its Enterprise Zone Investment Plan to enable to procurement process to get to this stage.
The Chair of the Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP), Tim Pile, said: Smithfield Birmingham is a key project for the city which will provide high quality, sustainable city centre living as well as jobs and inward investment. As a LEP we have a unique triple helix structure of bringing local government, business and educational leaders together to identify key investment areas in the Enterprise Zone that drive inclusive economic growth. Working with Birmingham City Council, we are reviewing future grant requests to unlock and accelerate development on the Smithfield site which will benefit both our citizens and our city.”
This development has the potential to create over 8,000 new jobs in future years.The creation of a brand new innovative and sustainable City quarter will provide local jobs, amenities and over 3,000 much needed new homes for the City, as well as opening up wider opportunities for regeneration. The 17 hectares development will anchor an expanded City Centre, helping to accelerate a wider transformation of Birmingham and support long-term economic and social prosperity within the region.
The vision for Smithfield Birmingham is to create a sustainable, green and inclusive place that puts people at the heart of the development.
This once in a generation opportunity will include:
- A new home for the markets: A new home for the city’s valued historical Bull Ring markets, with a new destination market experience establishing Smithfield as a prestigious and globally recognised market district.
- High-quality public spaces: Significant strengthening of the city centre’s authentic character with a major new public square, high-quality spaces and public art.
- Better connectivity: Improved connectivity with the integration of the Metro, bus routes and prioritisation of pedestrians and cyclists.
- Retail and workspaces: Independent retail and a variety of workspaces that will be attractive to small, growing and large businesses.
- Sustainable city living: High-quality city living with over 3,000 new homes in a healthy, sustainable and safe place with community facilities, a new public park, squares and active play for children.
- Outstanding leisure and culture: An outstanding leisure and cultural quarter, with live performances for all ages.
Councillor Ian Ward, Leader of Birmingham City Council, said: “Smithfield Birmingham is a real once in a lifetime opportunity to create a new community in the heart of our city – and we are really excited to be working with Lendlease Europe, who have an internationally proven track record for bringing forward major developments like this. “This £1.9bn development means jobs, homes and opportunities and Smithfield Birmingham will become a shining example of inclusive economic growth and will create a real legacy in the heart of Birmingham.”
Neil Martin, Lendlease’s Chief Executive Officer in Europe, said: “This is a real landmark moment, and it is testament to the hard work and determination of everyone involved that we are now moving onto the point where we will work with the wider community to bring this development to life. As well as providing some fantastic new homes and vibrant workspaces in Birmingham, we’ll be helping create thousands of new jobs for the city over the future years.”
The development is just minutes away from where the new HS2 station at Curzon Street is being built, which will bring Birmingham and the West Midlands within an hour’s commute of Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, London, York, Preston and Wigan. Lendlease is the ‘Master Development Partner’ for the over station development at Euston, which means the company is responsible for the planning and then the delivery of everything above, between and around the HS2 and Network Rail Stations on that site. The area will be the gateway to the Midlands and the Northern cities; providing rapid connections to new opportunities and helping trigger new jobs and skills along the length of the line.
Share this article: