GBSLEP has identified Advanced Manufacturing, particularly food and drink manufacturing, as a key growth sector for the region; providing high value jobs and catalysing innovation and growth.
Advanced Manufacturing: Food and Drink
Advanced manufacturing, particularly food and drink manufacturing, is a key growth sector for the region, providing high value jobs and catalysing innovation and growth across multiple sectors.
Our region is home to cutting edge research and development, established OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and globally competitive, interconnected supply chain firms.
Food and drink manufacturing has a strong presence in our area and across the wider west midlands. The region also has leading strengths in automotive and aerospace and there are significant opportunities for growth in next generation rail technologies, capitalising on global markets in very light and digital rail.
GVA data confirms the importance of advanced manufacturing to the GBSLEP area economy:
- It accounts for 13.5% of economic output compared to 10.6% across the UK.
- Delivery of the GBSLEP Strategic Economic Plan 2016-2030 presents the opportunity to grow employment within the sector by 2%, with an increased GVA output of 69% (£2.7 billion) during the period.
More information on the GBSLEP business support offer for advanced manufacturers can be found through the Greater Birmingham and Solihull Growth Hub.
Find out more about our West Midlands Low Carbon and Circular Economy Innovation Fund
OUR IMPACT (2020 / 2021)
- Contribution to regional policymaking for the emerging Birmingham Food Strategy and acting as a thought leader for the West Midlands Food and Drink Manufacturing sector.
- Launched Mentoring for Growth for SME senior leaders in partnership with the National Leadership Productivity Group.
- Through our Growth Hub we are now working with West Midlands Cyber Resilience Centre to engage businesses across sectors in cyber security.
OUR YEAR AHEAD (2021 / 2022)
- Providing Innovation opportunities to create product ideas, green practices and collaborations.
- Building business networks and raising the profile of the sector through strategic marketing and engagement aswell as key regional events such as the Commonwealth Games.
- Supporting the vision of Global Britain by increasing regional food and drink UK sales and exports through offering training to SMEs in winning bids, meet-the-buyer sessions for the Commonwealth Games and export support.
- Promote and encourage young people into Food and Drink manufacturing careers through our Skills and Apprenticeship Hub.