Greater Birmingham, and the wider West Midlands, is a growing centre for testing and providing health innovation, working in partnership with businesses and patients.
Health Technologies and Life Sciences in our area
The West Midlands’ large and diverse population, innovative healthcare ecosystem and rich Research & Development environment makes it the ideal location in which to train and work in health and care, as well as establish and grow a health technology business. Our strengths lie in bringing different disciplines and sectors together. GBSLEP is leading initiatives to lever value and deliver growth from our world-class industry, clinical and academic assets. In turn, driving innovation and adoption of new approaches and technologies.
World leading companies
Health Technologies encompasses;
- biotechnology (drug development, diagnostics);
- medical technology (devices and consumables);
- digital health (digital delivery of health services, personalised/precision medicine and data analytics) and
- technologies from other sectors with applications in health (advanced materials, precision engineering, manufacturing)
Greater Birmingham and Solihull has a strong and growing industry base of medical technologies and biopharma companies including large growth companies such as The Binding Site Group (immuno-diagnostics) and Salts Healthcare Ltd,(stoma care). The area also has many innovative companies, including university spin-outs across diagnostics, devices and digital health.
OUR IMPACT (2020 / 2021)
- £14m funding for the Precision Health Technologies Accelerator – the catalyst for the Birmingham Health Innovation Campus.
- GBSLEP led on the development of a Health Technology Cluster for the West Midlands and will continue to strengthen business networks.
OUR YEAR AHEAD (2021 / 2022)
- Extending the mapping of innovation space undertaken during 2020 to identify new facilities to meet domestic and international growth.
- Support internationalisation and access to export markets, through events such as the Commonwealth Games.
- Improve access to skills and career pathways into life sciences through the establishment of a WM Science Industry Partnership (SIP).